動詞： 1. deprive of oxygen and prevent from breathing; 相似 "Othello smothered Desdemona with a pillow"; 例子 "The child suffocated herself with a plastic bag that the parents had left on the floor"2. impair the respiration of or obstruct the air passage of; "The foul air was slowly suffocating the children"
3. become stultified, suppressed, or stifled; "He is suffocating--living at home with his aged parents in the small village"
4. suppress the development, creativity, or imagination of; "His job suffocated him"
5. be asphyxiated; die from lack of oxygen; "The child suffocated under the pillow"
6. feel uncomfortable for lack of fresh air; "The room was hot and stuffy and we were suffocating"
7. struggle for breath; have insufficient oxygen intake; "he swallowed a fishbone and gagged"